Please make sure you have the multi-purpose SSP Red Speed Coated 64mm Flat Brew Burrs before starting this process*
To replace the stock brew burrs in Ode with the proper SSP burrs, follow the steps laid out in our "How to replace the burrs" video. It is crucial that you adjust your grinder to setting 11 before the installation process. Also, you must thoroughly clean out your grinder with a brush before installing new burrs to ensure the alignment is correct. If you have a keyboard duster or a shop vacuum available, even better. Once these SSP burrs are installed, you need to calibrate your grinder before grinding coffee.
Please note our "How to calibrate your Ode" video shows how to recalibrate the stock brew burrs, so you will need to modify this procedure to calibrate your SSP burrs. Follow the steps from the video laid out below, but please note the modified step in bold. If you do not follow this step, the burrs will jam when you turn on the motor.
- Unplug Ode
- Turn grind dial to setting 11 (do not adjust to setting 1 as instructed in the video)
- Pull gently on the faceplate to remove
- Remove the four M3 screws surrounding the dial
- Pull to remove grind dial to reveal calibration dial
- Plug Ode back in
- Press power button
- Slowly turn the calibration dial counterclockwise
- When you hear the burrs chirping, stop here.
- Turn clockwise one notch (so the chirping stops)**
- Unplug Ode
- Make sure the grind dial is positioned at setting 1 (rotated all the way to the left)
- Carefully put the grind dial back in place (do not twist calibration dial while reinstalling)
- Replace the four M3 screws
- Press gently to snap on the faceplate
- Plugin Ode and press power button with no coffee inside
- You should not hear chirping or click noise at setting 1
- Grind coffee and enjoy!
Note: It will take roughly 5-10 lbs of coffee to season these SSP burrs, so don't be alarmed if your standard grind setting adjusts within the first 3-6 months of use.
- Slowly twist the calibration dial counterclockwise
- When you hear chirping or click sound, stop!
- Turn back one notch to stop sound
- Unplug Ode
*Using these burrs in Ode to brew espresso will void the warranty. Using any other SSP variant or 3rd party burrs in Ode will also void the warranty. Please reach out to us before you buy 3rd party burrs and/or start the installation process if you have any questions or concerns.
** Optional: Adjust the grinder 5 clicks clockwise instead of just 1 click. This should bring the grind range back to a familiar state. You'll still be able to achieve a fine grind for pour-over around settings #4-6 or a coarser option for French press or cold brew around setting #9-11.